Saturday, June 7, 2014

PSYCHOLOGIST SAYS SPEAKING IN TONGUES IS FOR REAL

The following is a rewrite of an earlier post of how, in 1980, I began to speak in tongues. Since writing that, I have looked at many blogs on the subject. Some are distressing because they ridicule this fastest growing group of Christians in the world. Because I am a Board Certified psychologist I feel it is important for people to know that Christians who speak in tongues are not nuts. Actually, research indicates that in many cases those speaking in tongues are more emotionally healthy than the general public.

Here is my story followed
by three other posts in elaboration

I am laying on the floor of a little store front church proclaiming “I love you Jesus!!!” and laughing uproariously. My life was changing forever.

What was a psychology professor doing on the floor in the first place?
In August 1980, my son dragged me to a storefront church. Although reluctant, what can you do when all four of your children challenge you with “What are you afraid of, Mr. Psychologist?”

I needed to know what they were getting in to.

Surprised, I was impressed when the young preacher spoke with authority.

The following Wednesday night, I showed up, startled to find only the pastor, the piano player and me. Catching me off guard, the minister inquired, “Have you ever received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?”

As a seeker after spiritual experiences, I was interested. Earlier, as a Baptist minister, I had led the singing at revivals that had gone wild. I once gave an invitation to which an entire church responded by rededicating themselves. Scared the fool out of me.

I had seen some amazing things, but the only thing I knew about what they called the Baptism of the Holy Spirit was that it had something to do with speaking in tongues. As kids, we had peeked through the windows at the crazy goings on in the local Pentecostal churches. But they were on the other side of the tracks.

Still, I had always been a high risk person when it came to spiritual things and that night I said to myself, O.K. you’ve danced with the Sufis, chanted with the Yogis, beat drums with the Baktis, so what the heck? I blurted out: “Well I want everything God has to give. I don’t want to miss anything.”

Then the young man said “O.K.., do what I do.” He began saying words of praise to God. I did what he did. All at once he said, “Now, no more words in English.” Pointing to my chest, he said, “Praise Him from there.” He began to make strange sounds.

One of the many meditations I had tried in the past, involved hours listening to various sounds deep within me. The Hindus teach that these are the sounds of the Chakras, energy centers of the body. Following his instructions, I focused on the region he pointed to. There were sounds! Not like his, but sounds. So I spoke the sounds I was hearing.

Along with the sounds bubbling up, came the most joyous sensations. They gushed up like I had tapped an oil well. (See next four threads as the story continues.)


13 comments:

VanessaDJones said...

Glory To God!!!

Lynne Lee said...

Thanks for this, and for dropping by to let me know of your blog.

There's a recent news report here.

http://acloserwalkwithgod.blogspot.com/2008/12/speaking-in-tongues-is-good-for-you.html

Blessings

lynne Lee
http://www.christianlifecoaching.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Thanks a million for telling me about this post of yours. I've been praying about it, hoping that God would guide my way out. I thank God, I thank you. *hugs*

Soterios said...

Hi there,

I also came to know the Lord speaking in tongues. It was wonderful. About 6 months later after daily prayer and reading the word I had a dream one night where my spirit in the dream uttered, "Jesus is the way the truth and the life". That was an even more awesome experience.

What I would like to share with you is the story of a psychiatrist who turns to clinical hypnotherapy and while treating one of her patients discovers inwelling demons, which later turn out to be the root cause of all their mental and physiological problems.

This book will give your faith an added dimension. Thanks to this woman's work I am near to overcoming a chronic illness using the word and prayer.

Shakuntala Modi -
"Remarkable healings"

Please take a look at my blog

www.truthofspiritualwarfare.blogspot.com

jdc said...

This was a wonderful testimony. Praise God! I just stumbled on this site while doing research after reading a book on witch trials in Western culture. In the book, I saw where some who were accused of being witches were condemned, in part, because they spoke in tongues, and did such things as rolled on the floor. Knowing the ignorance of the subject that exists, I had to wonder how many precious and innocent children of God were tortured and burned because they had been blessed by their heavenly Father.

I recently wrote a little book titled, "Speaking in Tongues at Spirit Baptism", and mailed it freely to over 27,000 pentecostal pastors across the country, and are still mailing it, now to thousands of others besides, in hope of helping us all come together about this blessing.

(1) While I am at your site, let me ask if you have any information about the persecution of pentecostals being labeled as witches

(2) If you or any others here would like a free copy of the Speaking in Tongues book, please let me know. I can be contacted on this web site: www.GoingtoJesus.com

God bless

Anonymous said...

Praise be to GOD.

liquidmic said...

when you i read "the sounds of the Chakras" i thought of the rivers of living water.. James 3:10-11 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
the mouth being the fountain that releases this rivers

Blogger said...

michael rutalo Sorry Michael, I was unable to follow your thought. Could you expand what your are saying?

Anonymous said...

I found your website awhile back when I saw your article on speaking in tongues. As a Spirit Filled Christian, I am glad to find a site that provides some balance and exposure on both supernatural phenomenon and metaphysics. As an individual that has a healing & restoration call on their life, you have helped me understand some topics typically coined "new age" and put them into their proper perspective. Your professional background as well as ministry background creates even more credibility with me. Be Blessed. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge. - Manning

Lynne Lee said...

I'm glad you've found my site helpful, I appreciate you letting me know.

We do need to be wise and allow the Holy spirit to help us discern what is good that has been hijacked by the 'new age' and kept us from the fulness of our life in Christ.

Blogger said...

Soterios. thanks for checking out my blog. I linked to it in the links section

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Blogger said...

Anonymous: Would love to know what you paper was about and how it came out.