Saturday, March 24, 2007

Irrational Hangups With God

Deliverance from irrational reactions to God can come slowly and sometimes immediately.

As a psychotherapist, I have had patients whose negative issues with God cleared up along side the issues with their earthly parents. Somehow, parent emotional responses had cross-wired with God responses. Often the person only recognized their problem with God, after they were cured.

I have also seen people supernaturally delivered from what I have learned to call: Paranoia of the Father. Both type healings happened to me.

I frequently likened what occurs as similar to having a physical disorder; take anemia for instance. The person accepts the tired feeling as the norm. One day a doctor diagnosis anemia, gives some pills and zappo, they feel good. Only when they have been delivered can they exclaim “so this is the way a normal person feels!”

In my post,The Zapped Psychologist, I relate an encounter with God and a deliverance from my paranoia of Him which I did not recognize until it was gone. Besides my story, I have seen other sudden deliverances. The one I am about to describe is one of the more dramatic ones.

I was in an office one day with a woman who was almost totally catatonic. Usual approaches had failed. In desperation, I took off my psychologist’s hat and donned my priest’s. Suspecting something deeper than I had ever encountered, I tried to get her to just say aloud the name of Jesus. She tried, but the word would not come out.

I was treading somewhere I had never been, and really did not know what I was doing. So, I retreated to my office. There I began to quietly pray.

Suddenly, an inner, almost audible voice, said, “Brace yourself, she is coming.” To my alarm, there she was at the entrance to my office. Pathetically, she began to beg me to stop praying. “I know you think you are helping, but you are damaging my brain. You must stop!” She begged.

In my panic, I had enough presence of mind to realize that there was no way she could have known I was praying, plus there was no way I could have known she was coming. I knew I was in over my head.

So, I said to her, “I will call a friend of mine who knows about these things. But, Jane I am not saying this to you, I am talking to that something or someone who is talking to me.”

I dialed my friend and he responded, “I am on my way right now.”

At that exact moment, she snapped up straight, color returned to her face and she exclaimed, “It’s gone! It’s gone!” Raising her hands to her head, she said “It was like a giant vulture had his talons deep in my brain. I heard a whirring noise, and he was gone!”

(Afterwards, she went back to college, graduated with honors and did the same in graduate school.)

People have all sorts of hangups with God. If they ever get delivered from them either through psychotherapy or supernaturally (Mt 17:21), they often look back and exclaim “Man, I was really messed up and didn’t even know it!”

0 comments: