Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Cast Out Demons, Heal the Sick and Get Lynched

Our teacher taught a timely message for me this week. To His disciples, Jesus laid out the outline for their ministry in Matthew 10. I think if I had been there and He had said, “I am giving you power over unclean spirits and you will heal the sick,” I would have jumped up and down shouting “hot diggity dog!”.

But then He said, “that’s the good news.” “And the bad news, Lord?” “Oh that,” the Lord would answer. "Well there is this little matter that they will deliver you up to councils and they will scourge you and you will be a lamb among wolves.”

The pastor pointed out though, that that model of ministry, was exactly how it went with Jesus Himself–cast out demons, heal the sick and get lynched. Because that is the pattern, along with this is the realization that as we follow in His footsteps, the rougher it gets, the more we know we are in His presence.

There was also some small print in the contract. He said to be as wise as a serpent, and as harmless as doves.

The reason this sermon was important to me was what was going on at that moment in my life. I have created a politically conservative blog for local Conservatives. My best friend was concerned that getting into the political arena cannot only put me among wolves but also turn me into one.

Sure enough that is exactly what happened. For several weeks I had fun. Then the night before church, the left wing bloggers in town discovered me. They attacked, including having my blog temporarily shut down. Because they were people I knew and who knew me, storms of emotions were unleashed in me--hurt, rage and desire for revenge.

Then at church, I had to ask myself, how much of this did I ask for, and how much was unfair? “Harmless as a dove” jumped out at me and I spent the time during the sermon going over every attack article I had written and repenting where needed. I came away refreshed and full of the goodness of the Lord. In the future, I promise to try to be both as harmless as a dove, but not giving up “wise as a serpent.”

I do believe the 2008 election is pivotal for Christians as well as for Israel and worth getting involved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Ephesiana 2 it states that when we are born again we are seated at the right hand of God in Christ Jesus. How about looking down from heaven, knowing that we are in Christ and that we can do everything He did and more because of His power. We NOW are to establish the Lord's kingdom here on earth, as it is in heaven. Lets go about our Fathers business, casting out demons, healing the sick, preaching the gospel of peace. WE ARE IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD, NOT THE KINGDOM OF SOME RELIGION.

Anonymous said...

Wow thanks for saying this. It shows great spiritual maturity. I am so happy for you.

Blogger said...

Anonymous, Thanks for your comment.